VAPAHCS has the third largest research program in VHA and maintains a strong, cooperative affiliation with Stanford University. The VAPAHCS non-profit corporation, Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR), has helped make VAPAHCS a leader in research.
Research programs include:
- Center for Innovation to Implementation (Ci2i)
- VA Cooperative Studies Program (CSP)
- Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center (GRECC)
- Health Economics Resource Center (HERC)
- HIV Studies
- Mental Illness Research Education and Clinical Center (MIRECC)
- Program Evaluation and Resource Center
- Queri Coordination Center
- Rehabilitation Research & Development Service (RR&D)
- Stanford/VA Alzheimer's Research Center
Research is conducted in the following areas: Spinal cord injury, genomics, cooperative studies/clinical studies, diabetes, drug abuse, pain management, cancer, endocrinology, immunology, musculoskeletal, hypertension, dermatology, atherosclerosis, nephrology, bioterrorism, post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), hepatitis, ophthalmology, optometry, polytrauma, vision rehabilitation and cardiology.