VA Palo Alto Health Care System
VAPAHCS Extends Smoke Free Policy
VA Palo Alto Health Care System is changing its smoking policy along with all other medical centers across the country to further our commitment to provide a safe and healthy environment for patients, visitors, volunteers, vendors, contractors and employees. The policy covers all smoking material including but not limited to:
- Any other combustion of tobacco
- Mon-Federal Drug Administration (FDA) approved electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS), including but not limited to electronic or e-cigarettes, vape pens, or e-cigars.
Beginning October 1, 2019, smoking will no longer be permitted on the VA campus - it is strongly encouraged to leave all smoking materials at home.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), cigarette smoking causes about one of every five deaths in the United States each year. Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause the following:
- More than 480,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke).
- 278,544 deaths annually among men (including deaths from secondhand smoke).
- 201,773 deaths annually among women (including deaths from secondhand smoke).
Help to make a difference! If you or someone you know is interested in quitting smoking, contact VA Palo Alto's TeleQuit program at 650-493-5000, ext. 60557.