VA Palo Alto Health Care System
Changes to Visitor Policy
Changes to Visitor Policy (effective immediately until further notice)
The safety of our Veterans, visitors, and staff is paramount. Therefore, VA Palo Alto Health Care System is taking additional measures to protect the health and well-being of all parties.
Moving forward, visitors will not be allowed in the VA Palo Alto Health Care System, including Palo Alto Division Building 100, Building 7 and Building 520; all CLCs, including Palo Alto, Livermore, and Menlo Park; all residential mental health care programs in Menlo Park; and all outpatient clinics and locations, health care system wide. This restriction also applies to patients’ family members currently in Fisher House and Defenders Lodge.
As the number of cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) increases in the Bay Area, it is critical to minimize avoidable exposure to COVID-19 whenever possible. Some individuals who contract the COVID-19 virus have no symptoms or only mild symptoms, such that they may not be aware they are carrying the virus.
Exceptions to this policy include visitors supporting the following patients:
- Patients under the care of Palliative Care Services or Hospice (i.e., 4C)
- Patients with developmental or physical disabilities preventing them from navigating the appointment alone
- Patients requiring a caregiver to support the patient’s ability to understand or participate in the care or treatment
Those visitors permitted to access the health care system must follow all required precautions to prevent patients and staff from exposure, including:
- Participate in check point screening,
- Maintaining 6 feet distance from others,
- Performing hand hygiene as ordered,
- Following the directions of hospital staff, and
- Keeping the visit as short as possible
We thank you for your patience as we work diligently to protect the health and well-being of our Veterans, visitors, and staff.