VA Palo Alto Health Care System
Work Status for Employees
As of Tuesday, December 1, 2020 4:04 PM PST
Director statement regarding reporting for duty:
COVID-19 situational update
VA Palo Alto Health Care System remains open for your health care needs. As we slowly and safely expand our services, your safety remains our highest priority. Patients will be contacted by their care teams to schedule appointments as they become available.
While we always strive to provide a clean environment, we are now taking additional steps including more frequent cleaning of high-touch areas, such as doorknobs, handrails, countertops, bathrooms, and vinyl seating. We continue to clean exam rooms, procedure rooms and inpatient units after each patient. If you see environmental concerns while visiting our campuses, let your treatment team know.
Please note the following precautions when visiting any of our facilities:
- Visitors are not allowed at this time unless required for the Veteran’s visit.
- ALL Veterans and staff are required to properly wear a mask (over mouth and nose) upon arrival. If you do not have one, you will be provided with a mask.
- Screening checkpoints are in place upon entrance to facilities.
- Temperature readers are being used at entrances to high-traffic buildings.
- Urgent Care and Emergency Department are open with outdoor triage (if experiencing a life threatening condition, call 9-1-1).
- When in doubt, contact our Advice Nurses at (855) 632-8262, or send a secure message to your doctor through My HealtheVet.
What services are available?
Following VA and CDC guidelines, we slowly expanded our services to allow for limited appointments in the following areas:
- Mental Health
- Primary Care
- Specialist Care
- Surgeries and procedures
- Ancillary (Pharmacy, Radiology, Lab)
If you have a fever, cough or shortness of breath, please call our Advice Nurses at (855) 632-8262 BEFORE going to a clinic, urgent care, or emergency room.
How to get tested
Testing kits are limited, and we have testing for Veterans who are either experiencing symptoms or have been exposed to COVID-19. If you desire testing but are not experiencing any symptoms, you can be tested free of charge at any California State Testing locations.
All VA services and policies are subject to change based on new information made available from the VA and CDC. Please continue to check this page, follow our social media, and subscribe to email alerts to stay informed!
During a VA-declared emergency:
VA Employees should return to this page for updates. For more information about this emergency, go to our main Emergency Information page.