VA Palo Alto Health Care System
VA Palo Alto's two Fisher Houses provide free, high-quality, temporary lodging to families of Veterans and active-duty service members who are undergoing inpatient treatment in conjunction with Veterans Health Administration.
Veterans or active duty service members may stay at the Fisher House if they are accompanied by a family member or caregiver one night before the surgery.
Who is eligible to stay at the Fisher House?
The following are eligibility requirements for lodging at the Palo Alto Fisher House:
- Guests must require lodging for three or more days
- Guests must live 50 miles or more from the Fisher House
- Guests must be medically stable and able to care for themselves and/or family members independently
- Minor children may be accommodated if they are supervised by their families at all times
- There will be only one room assigned to each family. No more than three people can be placed in a room.
How do I make a reservation?
Referrals to the Fisher House are made through the patient’s treatment team. If you would like to make a Fisher House reservation, please ask a clinician from your family members' treatment team to submit a referral to the Fisher House staff.
Requesting a reservation does not guarantee lodging. Lodging is dependent on eligibility and availability.
What are the accommodations?
Our Fisher House consists of two houses totaling 41 rooms with a shared kitchen, family room, living room and dining room.
Each room has a private bathroom with a shower. All rooms are equipped with a TV and DVD.
The Fisher House also offers a wireless internet connection.
Rollaway beds and cribs may also be available upon request.
What should I bring?
• Your usual medications that are self-administered. Please note that you cannot store any medications in the community refrigerators. If you need a medication cooler, please notify the Fisher House Staff upon check-in.
• Personal hygiene articles (soap and other toiletries) and clothing
• The Fisher House does not provide meals, but has a fully stocked kitchen. Please note alcohol and weapons are not permitted on VA grounds and may not be stored in the Fisher House.
What items are restricted?
- Smoking is not permitted in or around the Fisher House at any time. VA is a non-smoking facility.
- Alcohol and/or illicit drugs are not permitted.
- Firearms and/or weapons are not permitted.
- You may not have food or beverages (other than water) in your room.
- Pets are not permitted. Only certified and trained service animals are allowed in the Fisher House and require prior approval.
- No additional guests are permitted in the rooms without prior approval.
Where do I check in if I am approved for reservations?
Non-holiday weekday check-ins should report to the Fisher House between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday. The Fisher House is located on the VA Palo Alto Campus. From the main entrance take your first right.
After hour check-ins should report to the Administrative Officer of the Day (AOD). The AOD is located in Building 100 (the main hospital building) in the Emergency Department waiting area.
What are the check-in and check-out times?
Fisher House check-in occurs between 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
All other check-ins need to be coordinated with Fisher House staff.
What happens if reservations are not available or I am not eligible for Fisher House lodging?
If you do not meet the eligibility criteria listed above, or if lodging at the Fisher House is not available at the time of your request, Social Work Service can assist you with referrals to other VA and community resources.
Directions to the Fisher House
From 101: Take the Embarcadero/Oregon Expressway exit. Merge onto Oregon Expressway. Oregon Expressway becomes Page Mill Road. Turn left onto Foothill Expressway. Turn left onto Hillview Avenue. Turn left onto Miranda Avenue. The VA will be on your left.
From I-280: Take the Page Mill Road exit. Turn right onto Foothill Expressway. Turn left onto Hillview Avenue with an immediate right onto Miranda Avenue. The VA will be on your left.
3801 Miranda Ave
Palo Alto, CA 94304
Building 8 and 10
- 650-493-5000 Ext. 60384
Hours of Operation