VA Palo Alto Health Care System
What is Music Therapy?
Music therapy is the evidence-based use of music for a therapeutic purpose. VA Palo Alto currently employs two full-time board-certified music therapists who use musical interventions with Veterans (e.g., playing guitar, singing, writing songs, drumming, and listening to music) to reach goals and objectives.
You do not have to have prior musical experience in order to participate in music therapy.
Music can be a fun, relaxing way to engage with each other, and can bring back memories, spark conversation, and promote creative expression!
Music therapy has many documented benefits, such as:
- Promotes relaxation – decreases restlessness and agitation;
- Helps to develop new relationships and encourages family connections;
- Helps with pain management and reduction of pain;
- Promotes reminiscence, cognition, and helps Veterans maintain a high quality of life;
- Helps reduce depression and anxiety.