VA Palo Alto Health Care System
Western Blind Rehabilitation Center (WBRC)
The Western Blind Rehabilitation Center (WBRC) is a 27-bed residential facility located at the Menlo Park Division of the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. Approximately two hundred men and women of all ages participate in the program each year. More than three quarters have usable vision for which specialized treatment is provided. Adjusting to and managing visual impairment is the major objective of the program.
In 2017, CARF International awarded the WBRC a 3-year accreditation for comprehensive blind rehabilitation services, for the fifth consecutive survey. This is the highest level of certification that can be awarded to an organization. The WBRC is committed to continually enhancing the quality of programs to ensure service delivery excellence.
WBRC strategic initiatives:
- Access to care to ensure that all eligible patients that would benefit from blind rehabilitation have the opportunity to receive training through WBRC programs in a timely manner.
- Outreach to providers, Veterans, and other stakeholders for increased visibility of WBRC programs and services.
- Expand workforce of WBRC with improved recruitment and retention.
- Align with VA-wide initiative for High Reliability Organization (HRO): Identify tools and knowledge needed to foster a high reliability environment with the enhancement of cultural competency and adaptability to maximize safety and minimize harm.
To serve Veterans and active duty service members with visual impairments, along with their families, to improve independence and quality of life through best practices in vision rehabilitation, a patient-centric approach and a supportive environment that fosters competence, confidence and continuous learning.
In service to those who have served and their families, to be a model of excellence in vision rehabilitation, promoting a culture of hope, innovation, and independence.
Instructional videos for patients:
How to change a long cane tip
795 Willow Rd
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Hours of Operation
- M-F 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.