VA Palo Alto Health Care System
WBRC Program & Setting
Adjustment to Sight Loss
Comprehensive Neurological Vision Rehabilitation
Computer Access and iProgram
Family Training Program
Orientation and Mobility
Rehabilitation Medical and Nursing Services
While gaining information and skills needed to manage the effects of visual impairment, participants are able to form positive plans for the lives they will lead after they complete the program. Whenever possible, this planning involves family members. This focus of the treatment areas are to enable participants to understand and cope with sight loss and to provide rehabilitation to help them achieve the highest level of independence possible.
Much thought and effort have gone into the design of the physical facility. WBRC staff assist newly admitted individuals to become oriented to the WBRC and familiar with the daily activities.
- The WBRC medical staff is on duty five days per week. Rehabilitation Nursing is provided seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
- Three meals a day are served in the WBRC dining room. Arrangements are made for special health needs.
- Individual rooms are arranged in suites of two rooms adjoined by a bathroom. A free laundry facility is also available.
- A large recreation room and a patio with a golf putting green are also on site.
- A retail store, canteen, barber shop, gym, and pool facilities are available on the hospital grounds.
- There is a chapel on grounds offering weekly services.
- On evening and weekends, participants are free to socialize, exercise, attend WBRC sponsored recreational functions, or go on pass.