VA Palo Alto Health Care System
Construction in Palo Alto
New 14,000 sq.ft. Center for Regenerative Medicine
This project will replace deficient space by constructing a 14,000 Gross-Square-Foot (GSF) Musco-Skeletal and Exercise Physiology Research Laboratory in the footprint of the demolished structure. The newly constructed space will include wet and dry bench research and investigator support areas. This project will provide complete site restoration including accommodating walks, ramps, landscaping and parking in line with footprint of new construction.
This project will:
- Consolidate related research programs to facilitate collaboration, increase efficiencies and improve patient access;
- Mitigate potentially catastrophic seismic deficiencies; and
- Correct existing environment of care deficiencies while expanding modern research laboratory infrastructure.
The Rehabilitative Research and Development (RR&D) Center, which includes the Bone and Joint Program, advances the mission of Veterans Healthcare Administration by conducting basic science and clinical studies of the mechanisms responsible for orthopedic impairments. This work forms the basis for developing new clinical treatments to reduce the disability of Veterans and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of healthcare delivery by VA clinicians. Similarly, the Musculo-Skeletal Research Laboratory (MSRL), currently located in Building 301 on the Menlo Park Division, conducts complex and innovative bone density research with studies focusing on topics such as osteoporosis, muscle strength, prostate disease, arthritis and obesity. Exercise Physiology is the third research component that will be incorporated into the RR&D Center through this proposed expansion.
- The new 18,000 sq.ft. two-story Center for Tissue Regeneration, Repair, and Restoration will consolidate wet bench, biomechanics laboratories and translational office programs into a state-of-the-art research center.
- Construction start: Summer 2015
- Anticipated construction completion: Winter 2017-18