VA Palo Alto Health Care System
CWT Consult Process
Thank you for your interest in the Compensated Work Therapy Program. The CWT Program serves the San Francisco Peninsula and South Bay regions, and is dedicated to helping participants improve the quality of their lives through vocational rehabilitation. Its sub-programs include:
- The Transitional Work (TW) Program: A transitional work therapy program that emphasizes employment planning, coordination, and development. TW provides qualifying Veteran patients a time-limited, therapeutic work assignment with a goal of obtaining competitive employment..
- The Community-Based Employment Services (CBES) Program: Veterans who have a medical/mental health diagnosis, are homeless, or have other barriers to employment are assisted in obtaining competitive employment and are provided with support services.
- The Individual Placement and Support (IPS) Program: Veterans who are diagnosed with Severe Mental Illness (SMI) are assisted in obtaining competitive employment and are provided with individualized support services to maintain employment.
In order to submit a completed consult, please ensure the following can be accounted for:
1. Complete a new consult entitled “Compensated Work Therapy (CWT) Outpt.” Any VA provider can place his/her name under “Entered by,” but a provider with medical privileges MUST be the “Responsible Person,” thus his/her signature is required. Providers with medical privileges include Primary Care Physicians (PCPs), psychologists, psychiatrists, licensed clinical social workers, and select Nurse Practitioners (NPs).
2. The CWT Medical Clearance template is completed by the Veteran’s PCP or NP. This can be found in the “Notes” tab as a “New note” titled, “CWT Medical Clearance 22685.” The note documents any limitations that may impact the selection of a work assignment. This MUST be submitted for the consult to be complete.
- The CWT Medical Clearance note must be completed PRIOR to placement in the TW Program. To expedite the process it is strongly suggested that Veterans obtain clearance prior to consult being placed. It is also strongly suggested that Veterans obtain medical clearance prior to intake in the CBES and IPS Programs.
- If Veterans do not have a PCP, Social Workers can facilitate a connection to one. During this time, they can contact CWT Psychologist/Clinical Coordinator Nana Dawson-Andoh, Ph.D, at (650) 493-5000 ext. 27821, or email. Dr. Dawson-Andoh will triage Veterans for vocational assistance and a brief orientation with a CWT staff member while they await assignment of a PCP and consult completion.
3. Veteran has a Mental Health Treatment Coordinator, if being followed for mental health treatment. If Veteran does not have one, Social Workers are encouraged to help arrange for Veteran to meet with one before referring them to CWT.
Once a completed consult is received, Dr. Dawson-Andoh will review the chart and triage the Veteran for assignment to a Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist.
If it is unclear which program may be most appropriate for the Veteran, he/she will be triaged to the treatment team for further review and discussion of clinically appropriate programs or community resources.
Back to CWT Homepage