VA Palo Alto Health Care System
Visual Impairment Services Team (VIST)
What is VIST?
The Visual Impairment Services Team (VIST) Program at VAPAHCS provides services to Veterans and Active Duty Service Members experiencing significant vision loss. The VIST Coordinator provides assessment, case management and referrals to services. They also help the Veteran and their families cope with the functional and emotional issues associated with impaired vision.
VIST Program Objectives:
- Identify and inform eligible Veterans and Active Duty Service Members about services and benefits;
- Ensure that health care and rehabilitation services are made available to these individuals;
- Provide education and help them cope with vision loss and reintegrate into their activities and communities.
An annual case management review is completed for every Veteran on the VIST roster. This is a yearly assessment of the Veteran's adjustment to sight loss, current vision, hearing, and health. Based on information collected during the VIST review, Veterans may be referred for training and/or services to address their needs. The Palo Alto VIST Program also offers benefit reviews, support groups, community activities, and presentations to agencies regarding vision loss. For individuals who have experienced vision loss due to a brain injury or stroke, the Palo Alto Polytrauma VIST program provides referrals to specialty training programs to address vision loss caused by brain injury.
Many of the rehabilitation programs offered at the VA assess, train, and issue adaptive items which may include:
- Magnifiers and other devices for accessing print;
- Adapted software that enlarges and/or speaks what’s on a computer screen;
- Long white canes and other mobility aides to assist with safe and independent travel;
- Devices to assist with activites of daily living, including large print and talking watches and clocks, talking paper currency identifiers, and audible prescription readers;
- Adapted recreational equipment.
Referrals for services may include, but are not limited to:
- VA Inpatient Blind Rehabilitation Training programs
- VA outpatient vision rehabilitation services (VICTORS & BROS)
- Comprehensive Neurological Vision Rehabilitation (CNVR)
- Low Vision Services
- Adapted Computer Technology Training
- Community/State Agencies
- Library of Congress Talking Book Program
- Paratransit Services
- Adapted Recreational Programs
Members of the VIST Team
The VIST Team is comprised of a multi-disciplinary group of providers, which may include:
- The VIST Coordinator
- Optometry/VICTORS/Low Vision Clinic
- Blind Rehabilitation Outpatient Services (BROS)
- Western Blind Rehabilitation Center (WBRC)
- Social Work, Prosthetics, Primary Care, Audiology, Pharmacy, Admission and Eligibility, Brain Injury Specialist, Veterans' advocacy organizations, and state or community agencies.
3801 Miranda Ave
Palo Alto, CA 94304
Hours of Operation
- M-F 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.