VA Palo Alto Health Care System
The VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) has made it a priority to ensure that all women Veterans receive equitable, high-quality, and comprehensive health care services. For more information, select one of the centers/programs below.
The Women's Health Center provides specialty medical services for the health care needs of Women Veterans within VAPAHCS.
The Women's Counseling Center provides outpatient services dedicated to the emotional health and well-being of Women Veterans. This center was designed to meet the needs of the growing female Veteran population within VAPAHCS.
The Women's Trauma Recovery Program provides specialty residential treatment for military women with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It is the first and longest standing program of its kind and is open to women across the country.
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) Treatment: IVF evaluation and treatment to Veterans with service-connected conditions that resulted in infertility are available to Veterans and their spouses. The benefit was added to existing infertility services. Learn more
Women's Heart Health: One in three women die from cardiovascular diseases and stroke each year, killing about one woman every 80 seconds. Do you know your numbers? Read more
As part of our effort to educate Women Veterans about the Veterans Choice Program, VA created a Veterans Choice Program Toolkit. The full toolkit can be found at www.va.gov/opa/toolkit.
Women’s Health Services recently released two free mobile applications (apps) for VA and non-VA care team members, the Caring4Women Veterans and Preconception Care apps. Both apps provide important guidance in caring for and counseling women Veterans. Download links are provided below.
|Caring4Women Veterans Download Links|
|Preconception Care Download Links|
Our Women Veterans Program Manager advises and advocates for women Veterans. She can help coordinate all the services you may need, from primary care to specialized care for chronic conditions or reproductive health. VA health care for women Veterans includes:
- General care includes health evaluation and counseling, disease prevention, nutrition counseling, weight control, smoking cessation, and substance abuse counseling and treatment as well as gender-specific primary care, such as cervical cancer screens (Pap smears), breast cancer screens (mammograms), birth control, preconception counseling, Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine, menopausal support (hormone replacement therapy).
- Mental health includes evaluation and assistance for issues such as depression, mood, and anxiety disorders; intimate partner and domestic violence; sexual trauma; elder abuse or neglect; parenting and anger management; marital, caregiver, or family-related stress; and post-deployment adjustment or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Military Sexual Trauma (MST). Women-and men as well-may experience repeated sexual harassment or sexual assault during their military service. Special services are available to women who have experienced MST. VA provides free, confidential counseling and treatment for mental and physical health conditions related to MST. More information is available about MST from the national Women Veterans Health Care program and the VHA Office of Mental Health.
- Management and screening of chronic conditions includes heart disease, diabetes, cancer, glandular disorders, osteoporosis, and fibromyalgia as well as sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis. Reproductive health care includes maternity care, infertility evaluation and limited treatment; sexual problems, tubal ligation, urinary incontinence, and others. VA is prohibited by legislative authority from providing either in-vitro fertilization or abortion services.
- Rehabilitation, homebound, and long-term care. VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, exercise therapy, recreational therapy, and vocational therapy. Homebound and long-term care services are available as well, limited to those meeting specific requirements.