VA Palo Alto Health Care System
The VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) has made it a priority to ensure that all women Veterans receive equitable, high-quality, and comprehensive health care services. For more information, select one of the centers/programs below.
The Women's Health Center provides specialty medical services for the health care needs of Women Veterans within VAPAHCS.
The Women's Counseling Center provides outpatient services dedicated to the emotional health and well-being of Women Veterans. This center was designed to meet the needs of the growing female Veteran population within VAPAHCS.
The Women's Trauma Recovery Program provides specialty residential treatment for military women with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It is the first and longest standing program of its kind and is open to women across the country.
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) Treatment: IVF evaluation and treatment to Veterans with service-connected conditions that resulted in infertility are available to Veterans and their spouses. The benefit was added to existing infertility services.
Women’s Health Services recently released two free mobile applications (apps) for VA and non-VA care team members, the Caring4Women Veterans and Preconception Care apps. Both apps provide important guidance in caring for and counseling women Veterans. Download links are provided below.
|Caring4Women Veterans Download Links|
|Preconception Care Download Links|
For Women Veterans, VA is Here
Women Veteran Program Managers are available at each VA Medical Center nationwide to assist women Veterans and coordinate services. Women Veterans who are interested in receiving care at VA should contact the nearest VA Medical Center.
Women Veterans are assigned to a designated Women’s Health Primary Care Provider who can provide general primary care and is specially trained or experienced in women’s care.
Whole Health - It's All About You
VA’s Whole Health System offers women Veterans proactive and personalized health care—empowering you to achieve your greatest level of health and well-being. Whole Health means the Whole You. From integrative health approaches like stress reduction, nutrition, and health coaching, to traditional clinical care and complementary health approaches—your journey to Whole Health starts here.
Proactive, integrative health approaches such as:
- Health coaching
- Mind-body therapies and stress reduction
- Nutrition and weight management
- Peer support and community resources
- Programs to stop smoking
- Physical therapy and chiropractic services
You will be at the center of a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT). A provider, nurse, and others will engage with you to manage your health care.
- Primary care: includes general medical care for acute and chronic conditions, such as chronic pain, high blood pressure, and diabetes
- Preventive care: includes immunizations and cancer screenings, such as mammogram, Pap, and colonoscopy
- Gender-specific care
- Birth control
- Family planning and preconception counseling
- Maternity and newborn care (first 7 days after birth)
- Osteoporosis screening and management
Gynecology Health Services
Evaluation and treatment for:
- Abnormal Pap test
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Pelvic pain
- Gynecologic cancers
Evaluation, counseling, and treatment for:
- Depression, mood, and anxiety disorders
- Alcohol and drug use and addiction
- Coping with illness
- Intimate partner violence/sexual and domestic abuse
- Military sexual trauma (MST)
- Parenting and caregiver concerns
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Stress adjustment from deployment
- Management of chronic or complex conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and fibromyalgia, as well as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis
- Surgery programs available at most Medical Centers
- Rehabilitation, homebound, and long-term care VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy
VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, exercise therapy, recreational therapy, and vocational therapy.