VA Palo Alto Health Care System
Telephone Care Program
What is the Telephone Care Program?
The Telephone Care Program (TCP) gives you direct access to an agent and an Advice Nurse so that you can receive personalized, timely attention for your healthcare concerns.
The TCP operates Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. except holidays. For urgent health concerns, an Advice Nurse is available 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays.
Call (800) 455-0057 to access the following services:
- Pharmacy (Option 2) – refill prescriptions or speak with a pharmacist
- Appointments/Message Care Team (Option 3) - Make or cancel appointments or send message to Primary Care
- Advice Nurse (Option 4) - Advice Nurse
- Eligibility (Option 5) - Eligibility
- Billing (Option 6) - VA bills or Non-VA Care claims
Pharmacy (Option 2)
If you need to refill a prescription, choose this option to use our 24/7 automated system, or to speak with a live pharmacy technician during normal business hours. Please allow 10-14 days for processing and mailing.
Appointments/Message Care Team (Option 3)
Our Patient Scheduling Unit can help to schedule, cancel or reschedule the following routine appointments:
- with your doctor or specialists;
- for an eye exam,
- or to leave a message for your primary care team or a specialist team.
You may also email your primary care or specialist team for non-urgent matters by signing up at www.myhealth.va.gov. Replies to emails may take up to 3 business days.
Advice Nurse (Option 4)
This option connects you with an Advice Nurse if you are not feeling well. The nurse can help advise what is the right care for you.
For medical emergencies, please call 911.
The Advice Nurse can:
- Give health care advice.
- Help you decide if you should make a clinic appointment or go to the emergency room. (There are no walk-in appointments in the clinics.)
Eligibility (Option 5)
Use this option to find what services you may be eligible for or ask questions about your current eligibility status. Our local Admissions & Eligibility Office is available to answer your questions Monday - Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Billing (Option 6)
Find answers and get help with filing claims with our billing team. This option allows you to speak with someone about a bill received from VA or get help with a bill or claim from a Non-VA provider.
PLEASE NOTE: These telephone services are NOT EMERGENCY services! If you have a medical emergency, please dial 911.